This is a territory recognized as a UNESCO Global Geopark where its natural and cultural heritage holds international recognition.
The heritage of the Geopark can be classified into five main fields:
- Geological Heritage that includes outcrops distributed throughout the territory, essential to understand the geological history and the evolution of its landscape
- Paleontological Heritage comprising several sites, most of which are classified as cultural assets of national interest (BCIN)
- Mining heritage, comprising the most significant outcrops including mineral deposits and mining sites in the region
- Natural Heritage encompassing protected natural areas within the “Pla d’Espais d’Interès Natural (PEIN), els espais Xarxa Natura 2000” and the peripheral area of the “Aigüestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici” National Park.
- The Cultural Heritage including prehistoric and roman sites, medieval and modernist architecture, industrial legacy, Civil War historical sites and immaterial Heritage. In addition, two areas of the territory preserve a dark sky awarded with the Starlight insignia, a distinction supported by
The conservation and protection of this heritage is essential for the sustainable development promoted by Orígens Geopark.